"We are not healers, we are not reconcilers; we are sinful, broken and vulnerable people who need as much care as anyone we care for. The mystery of ministry is that we have been chosen to make our limited and very conditional love the gateway for the unlimited and unconditional love of God" -Henry Nouwen



Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Great Wolf Lodge

This past weekend flew by in a blur. Friday night we were scheduled to host Oleksander, one of the Ukrainian chaperones. We took him out to dinner at the Olive Garden, which proved to be a great choice. He loved it. He spoke a little English, but was very eager to learn. He was such a nice man, and we really enjoyed our evening with him. My absolute favorite part of the whole night was just listening to Losha speak Russian with Oleksander. I could have listened for hours. Losha was very respectful to Oleksander and they engaged in conversation a lot. I was able to pick out a few words, so I  know Oleksander was asking Loshas about our house, and he asked Losha about his parents. But that was about all I could understand. It was the most we had heard Losha talk, and the boy just let it all out. It was wonderful. Oleksander caught me smiling as I was watching them talk, and he asked me if I understood what they were saying. I told him no, that I just loved to hear Losha speak Russian. It was a great evening. We ordered Losha Dr. Pepper to drink, and he was downing one after the other, and I wasn't paying attention to this. When the food came, he ate about 2 bites and said he was full. I made him eat his most of his chicken and then he had a very funny look on his face and he leaned over to Oleksander and said something and I caught "toilet" out of it. Losha looked back at me because Oleksander wasn't moving to let him out of the booth. I asked him if he was sick, and he said yes. Well, he ran out of the booth and went to throw up. I felt like the worst host parent ever!!! I know he loves Dr. Pepper-and he literally drank himself sick. It was 10 times worse because it was in front of the chaperone. geez Louise!

Saturday morning we left for the Great Wolf Lodge, to see the other host families and kids. Losha of course clammed up, but we had invited along my sister, brother-in-law and nephew to join us. Loshas swam for about 3 hours and then told me he wanted to go to our room and watch TV. I don't think so, buddy. We paid good money and we were going to get the most out of it. We talked him into going down the slides with us some more, and his mood improved. There are some crazy slides at that place. Losha enjoyed making fun of me screaming my head off, thanks to the "Tornado". Saturday night, we had a pizza party with all of the families. Losha entered shy mode. He wouldn't talk to ANYONE. Several kids tried to introduce themselves, and Losha wouldn't say a word. So, we went to the arcade, and then he was fine. We ended the evening with some ice cream, and he told John, "Big, I want big chocolate". So that's what he got!
Sunday morning was more waterpark. Losha took off for the wave pool and that was the last we saw of him. I caught a glimpse of him in one of the other pools with some of the other Russian kids. He spent the rest of his day with the other kids, and I would catch a quick glimpse of him running, talking, going down the slides, etc... I was just so happy he was finally starting to engage with the other kids. We ended up leaving around 2- his eyes were blood-shot and he was ready to go.  The rest of Sunday evening we just relaxed at home, watching some movies and he played on the computer some. He said he had a good time.

I was so thankful for the snow on Monday!!! Another day at home with him. I have felt a very strong bond with him over the past weekend. He has really opened up to me and has told me A LOT about his past, which breaks my heart for him. His mother recently passed away and when he told me this, I started crying. He asked me why I was crying, and I told him it made me very sad for him. He has been telling me more and more since this weekend, and now that peace that I felt about sending him back is starting to waiver. I'm not so sure what we're supposed to do. He told me he's not ready to go back to Russia. I was joking and told him that he could just stay here, and was laughing when I said it. He started shaking his head up and down and said "yeah". John says I'm feeling this way because he's getting ready to leave- not sure if I believe that or not. I'm just about ready to flat out ask him about adoption, even though that is FORBIDDEN with the hosting program. We'll see how the next couple of days go..........

This morning, he woke up not feeling very well. He had a headache and was a little hot to the touch, so I think he probably had a fever. I gave him some exedrin and he said it went away. I made him a grilled cheese and bologna sandwich for lunch. As I was making mine, I asked him if he wanted more and he said yes. So I gave him my sandwich too. He ate some chips as well. So, I"m pretty sure he's feeling better! He's watching a movie now...just lounging around. John is working the road today, but I think we're gonna go sledding later on today. Losha has no desire what-so-ever to play in the snow. He told me that there is so much snow in Russia, that it will completely bury cars. He also said that in Russia it is normally -25 degrees, and when it gets down to -27 degrees then school is canceled. He has had a good laugh at our schools being cancelled for this tiny amount of snow :)

Well friends, I need to get off of here. I'm in a frenzy to edit and print all of pictures for him and send an album back with him........I need to get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment